Morning Symposium - Nurses’ Professional Group - Cultural Sensitivity Across Borders
Time:11:15 am - 1:00 pm
Location:Room 3 - San Diego Convention Center
David B. Smotrich, M.D. (Chair), La Jolla IVF
Susan Gordon-Pinnell, R.N., B.S.N., Boston IVF
Susan L. Crockin, J.D., Crockin Law & Policy Group, Newton, MA
Cultural Sensitivity Across Borders
Needs Assessment and Description
Given cultural and legal restrictions in many countries on
both the types of assisted reproductive technology (ART)
treatments that are available and the qualifications for
prospective parents, American ART programs are seeing
an explosion in international prospective parents seeking
treatment and, in particularly, gestational surrogacy
arrangements. There is a pressing need for programs
and professionals who understand the complexities and
vulnerabilities inherent in these arrangements. Managing the
medical, legal, ethical, financial/insurance and practical
aspects of international surrogacy/egg donation requires
a knowledgeable team approach, and medical, legal,
mental health and other professionals will all benefit from this
At the conclusion of this session, participants should be able
- Describe the multiple steps involved in treatment of
international surrogacy/egg recipient patients, and the
medical program’s role.
- Differentiate legal and medical aspects and needs of
international surrogacy participants, including the need
for clarity as to immigration, citizenship, parentage and
insurance aspects of a proposed arrangement.
- Appropriately counsel and alternatively refer both
international-intended parents and gestational surrogates.
After participating in this session, in my practice I will:
- Advise intended parents to choose a gestational
surrogate from any state in the U.S. as long as she has a
normal obstetric history.
- Advise gestational surrogates regarding their legal rights.
- Advise both intended parents and gestational
surrogates to retain separate, experienced legal
- Recommend gestational surrogates use their health
insurance for the anticipated pregnancy.
- Advise international patients looking for a gestational
surrogate to start by looking online.
- Not applicable to my area of practice.