How to Improve Fertility Outcomes (in the Kitchen)!
Summer Grain Bowl with Lemon Tahini DressingFood for Fertility
Angela Thyer MD, Judy Simon RDN
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 head broccoli, cut into large florets
- 3 large carrots, grated
- 4 radishes, sliced
- 4 cups of leafy lettuce
- ¼ head large purple cabbage, finely sliced
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 8-ounce package Tempeh, cut into one-inch cubes.
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 Tbs sesame oil
- 4 Tbs EVOO
- 4 Tbs Tahini
- 6 Tbs fresh lemon juice
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp salt
- Water for consistency
- 1 Tbs toasted sesame seeds
- 2 Tbs cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbs green onion, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Marinate the tempeh in the garlic, ginger soy, sesame oil for 20-30 minutes.
- Toss broccoli with 1.5 Tbs of EVOO and sprinkle with salt. Space out the broccoli on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and roast for 20-30 minutes. Check at 20 minutes.
- Bake the tempeh on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for about 20 minutes, turn each piece after 10 minutes.
- Rinse the quinoa well, Boil on the stove top with 1.75 cups of water. Once boiling, reduce to a slow simmer for about 12-15 minutes.
- Grate carrots, slice cabbage and radishes.
- Wash and tear lettuce into bite size pieces.
- Toast the sesame seeds over medium heat until fragrant.
- Whisk together the EVOO, tahini, lemon juice, garlic and salt. Add water to thin to appropriate consistency.
- Assemble the bowls: portions can be adjusted for preference.
- Portion ½ cup of quinoa, 1 cup greens, ¼ cup purple cabbage in a bowl. Add 2 ounces of baked tempeh over greens.
- Add the roasted broccoli over the quinoa. Carrots and radishes can be placed in sections for color.
- Drizzle the bowl with the lemon tahini dressing.
- Garnish with cilantro, green onions and toasted sesame seeds.