Advocacy in Action: July 2023
Date: July 29, 2023
Welcome to ASRM’s Advocacy in Action section, where we give an overview of what our Government Affairs team has been working on from our DC office, summarize relevant federal and state legislation, and highlight the advocacy and outreach efforts of our members. We are so thankful for the advocacy of our members; please get in touch with the Office of Public Affairs at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on ways to get involved.
- In California, our IVF mandate passed the Assembly Health Committee and is now on to the Appropriations Committee! This is the furthest this legislation has ever come: add your support to keep it going!
- In the District of Columbia, an ASRM-backed IVF mandate awaits the signature of Mayor Muriel Bowser.
- On July 18, Representative Connolly and Senator Duckworth sent a follow-up letter to the letter that the Alliance for Fertility Preservation, ASRM, and RESOLVE: the National Infertility Association sent to the Office of Personnel Management about the benefit design for coverage of fertility preservation services. The Federal Times ran a story about this issue.
- On July 19, Senator Cory Booker (D-NJ) and Representative Rosa DeLauro (D-CT) reintroduced the bicameral Access to Infertility Treatment and Care Act, legislation that would require more health insurers to provide coverage for infertility treatment, as well as fertility preservation services for individuals who undergo medically necessary procedures that may cause infertility, such as chemotherapy. ASRM was proud to endorse this legislation.
- ASRM was proud to sign a letter of support for the Access to Contraception for Servicemembers and Dependents Act sent to Senator Jack Reed and Representative Adam Smith. This letter requests contraception copay parity for TRICARE beneficiaries to be included in FY24 National Defense Authorization Act.
- On August 29, join us at noon ET for a joint policy briefing with ASRM President Dr. Michael Thomas, SMFM member Dr. David Hackney, and organizers from Ohio Physicians for Reproductive Rights and Protect Ohio Choice. Hear about their efforts to pass a ballot measure protecting abortion rights.
ASRM is still seeking your stories! We are so grateful to those that have already shared. We have heard feedback that when we share these personal stories and anecdotes on social media and with legislators, they move the needle far more than any other method of policy alone. So with that in mind, please let us know how your lives and practices have been affected by the Dobbs decision and state abortion legislation. Please email us at email@example.com to share.
Donate to the Advocacy in Action Fund
ASRM has already dedicated a significant amount of money to a fund we are calling the Advocacy in Action Fund. But additional resources are needed to hire lobbyists in key states, pay for legal analysis of proposed bills and develop alternative language, place advertisements in states with ballot issues.Donate Now