Early Pregnancy Special Interest Group (EPSIG)
The mission of the Early Pregnancy Special Interest Group (EPSIG) is to further the goals of the ASRM by fostering increased interest in the biology, pathophysiology and clinical management of early pregnancy, sporadic and recurrent pregnancy loss, implantation, early embryonic development and fetal demise. We are committed to increasing knowledge in this area through research and education of physicians, nurses, embryologists, epidemiologists and scientists as well as other allied health professionals. Our ultimate objectives are to improve patient care; provide a forum for networking, exchange of ideas and mentoring of young members; and promote the highest standards of ethical and critical investigation.
You can join the Early Pregnancy Special Interest Group when you join ASRM. (How to Join an ASRM Member Group)
2018-2019 Board MembersChair: Paul Brezina, MD, Fertility Associates
Chair-Elect: Kristin Bendikson, MD, USC
Vice-Chair: Steven Spandorfer, MD, Cornell
Immediate Past Chair: Lora Shahine, MD, Pacific NW Fertility
Past Chair: Sony Sierra, MD, TRIO Fertility
Resources for EPSIG Members
- Evaluation and treatment of recurrent pregnancy loss: a committee opinion https://www.asrm.org/Guidelines/
- Medical treatment of ectopic pregnancy: a committee opinion https://www.asrm.org/Guidelines/
- Definitions of infertility and recurrent pregnancy loss https://www.asrm.org/Guidelines/
- Current clinical irrelevance of luteal phase deficiency: a committee opinion https://www.asrm.org/Guidelines/
- Removal of myomas in asymptomatic patients to improve infertility and/or reduce miscarriage rate https://www.asrm.org/Guidelines/
- Medical management of ectopic pregnancy
(Practice bulletin number 94) https://www.acog.org/Resources_And_Publications/Practice_Bulletins_List
- Stephenson, et al. Recurrent early pregnancy loss. Seminars in reproductive Medicine 2011, 29(6) 461-2.
- Saravelos SH, Regan L. The importance of preconception counseling and early pregnancy monitoring. Semin Reprod Med. 2011 Nov;29(6):557-68.
- Vissenberg R, Goddijn M. Is there a role for assisted reproductive technology in recurrent miscarriage? Semin Reprod Med. 2011 Nov;29(6):548-56.
- de Jong PG, Goddijn M, Middeldorp S. Testing for inherited thrombophilia in recurrent miscarriage. 2011 Nov;29(6):540-7.
- Ernest JM, Marshburn PB, Kutteh WH. Obstetric antiphospholipid syndrome: an update on pathophysiology and management. Semin Reprod Med. 2011 Nov;29(6):522-39.
- Sugiura-Ogasawara M, Ozaki Y, Katano K, Suzumori N, Mizutani E. Uterine anomaly and recurrent pregnancy loss. Semin Reprod Med. 2011 Nov;29(6):514-21.
- Boots C, Stephenson MD. Does obesity increase the risk of miscarriage in spontaneous conception: a systematic review.Semin Reprod Med. 2011 Nov;29(6):507-13.
- Patel BG, Lessey BA. Clinical assessment and management of the endometrium in recurrent early pregnancy loss. Semin Reprod Med. 2011 Nov;29(6):491-506.
- Smith ML, Schust DJ. Endocrinology and recurrent early pregnancy loss. Semin Reprod Med. 2011 Nov;29(6):482-90.
- Hirshfeld-Cytron J, Sugiura-Ogasawara M, Stephenson MD. Management of recurrent pregnancy loss associated with a parental carrier of a reciprocal translocation: a systematic review. Semin Reprod Med. 2011 Nov;29(6):470-81.
- Lathi RB, Gray Hazard FK, Heerema-McKenney A, Taylor J, Chueh JT First trimester miscarriage evaluation. Semin Reprod Med. 2011 Nov;29(6):463-9.
- Branch DW, Gibson M, Silver RM. Clinical practice. Recurrent miscarriage. N Engl J Med. 2010 Oct 28;363(18):1740-7.
- Hodes-Wertz et al. Idiopathic recurrent miscarriage is caused mostly by aneuploid embryos. Fertil Steril. 2012 Sep;98(3):675-80.
- M. Lund, Kamper-Jørgensen M, Nielsen HS, Lidegaard Ø, Andersen AM, Christiansee OB. Prognosis for live birth in women with recurrent miscarriage: what is the best measure of success? Obstet Gynecol 2012; 119: 37-43.
- Vega M, Mauro M, Williams Z., Direct toxicity of insulin on the human placenta and protection by metformin. Fertil Steril. 2019 Jan 14. pii: S0015-0282(18)32227-1. doi: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2018.11.032. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 30709546
- Krieg SA, Shahine LK, Lathi RB.,Environmental exposure to endocrine-disrupting chemicals and miscarriage. Fertil Steril. 2016 Sep 15;106(4):941-7. doi: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2016.06.043. Epub 2016 Jul 26. Review. PMID: 27473347
- Shahine LK, Marshall L, Lamb JD, Hickok LR.,Higher rates of aneuploidy in blastocysts and higher risk of no embryo transfer in recurrent pregnancy loss patients with diminished ovarian reserve undergoing in vitro fertilization. Fertil Steril. 2016 Oct;106(5):1124-1128. doi: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2016.06.016. Epub 2016 Jun 29. PMID: 27371114
- Murugappan G, Shahine LK, Perfetto CO, Hickok LR, Lathi RB., Intent to treat analysis of in vitro fertilization and preimplantation genetic screening versus expectant management in patients with recurrent pregnancy loss. Hum Reprod. 2016 Aug;31(8):1668-74. doi: 10.1093/humrep/dew135. Epub 2016 Jun 7. PMID: 27278003
- Shahine L, Lathi R., Recurrent pregnancy loss: evaluation and treatment. Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am. 2015 Mar;42(1):117-34. doi: 10.1016/j.ogc.2014.10.002. Review. PMID: 25681844
Pregnancy of unknown location:
- Barnhart et al. Early pregnancy failure: beware of the pitfalls of modern management 98(5):1061-1065.
- Reid S, Condous G. Is there a need to definitively diagnose the location of a pregnancy of unknown location? The case for "no". Fertil Steril. 2012 Nov;98(5):1085-90. doi: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2012.09.032.
- Rubal L, Chung K. Do you need to definitively diagnose the location of a pregnancy of unknown location? The case for "yes". Fertil Steril. 2012 Nov;98(5):1078-84.
- Barnhart KT, Sammel MD, Takacs P, Chung K, Morse CB, O'Flynn O'Brien K, Allen-Taylor L, Shaunik A. Validation of a clinical risk scoring system, based solely on clinical presentation, for the management of pregnancy of unknown location. Fertil Steril. 2013 Jan;99(1):193-8.
Male factor and recurrent pregnancy loss:
- Robinson et al. Hum Reprod. 2012 Oct;27(10):2908-17. doi: 10.1093/humrep/des261. Epub 2012 Jul 12. The effect of sperm DNA fragmentation on miscarriage rates: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Handbook of Early Pregnancy Care. Eds Tom Bourne and George Condous. 2006 Informa Healthcare. London
- Recurrent Pregnancy Loss. Causes, Contoversies and Treatment. Ed Howard JA Carp. 2007 Informa Healthcare, London
- Early Pregnancy, Editors Farquharson RG and Stephenson MD. Cambridge University Press 2010, New York, USA
- Periconceptional medicine. Editors Macklon NS, Greer IA and Steegers EAP. Informa Healthcare, London 2008
- Shahine, L. Not Broken: An Approachable Guide to Miscarriage and Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
- Cohen, J. Coming to Term, Uncovering the Truth about Miscarriage. 2005 Rutgers University Press
- ASRM Topic on Recurrent Pregnancy Loss https://www.reproductivefacts.org/topics/topics-index/miscarriage-or-recurrent-pregnancy-loss/
- ASRM Fact Sheet: What is Recurrent Pregnancy Loss https://www.reproductivefacts.org/what-is-recurrent-pregnancy-loss/
- ASRM Fact Sheet: Treatment of Recurrent Pregnancy Loss https://www.reproductivefacts.org/treatment-of-recurrent-pregnancy-loss/
Please inform Dr. Sacha Krieg if you have a RPL study you would like to post on this site.
Areas of interest:
- Recurrent pregnancy loss
- Ectopic pregnancy
- In vitro fertilization and early pregnancy
- Recurrent implantation failure
- Obesity and reproduction
- Pregnancy loss and endocrine disrupters
- Preconception counseling
- Miscarriage chromosome and pathology testing
- Recurrent pregnancy of unknown location