Early Pregnancy Special Interest Group (EPSIG)
The mission of the Early Pregnancy Special Interest Group (EPSIG) is to further the goals of the ASRM by fostering increased interest in the biology, pathophysiology and clinical management of early pregnancy, sporadic and recurrent pregnancy loss, implantation, early embryonic development and fetal demise. We are committed to increasing knowledge in this area through research and education of physicians, nurses, embryologists, epidemiologists and scientists as well as other allied health professionals. Our ultimate objectives are to improve patient care; provide a forum for networking, exchange of ideas and mentoring of young members; and promote the highest standards of ethical and critical investigation.
You can join the Early Pregnancy Special Interest Group when you join ASRM.
Resources for EPSIG Members
- American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology http://www.acog.org
- European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology http://www.eshre.eu/
- Society of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility http://www.socrei.org/
- Society for Gynecologic Investigation http://www.sgionline.org/
ASRM committee opinions:
- Evaluation and treatment of recurrent pregnancy loss:a committee opinion http://www.asrm.org/Guidelines/
- The clinical relevance of luteal phase deficiency: a committee opinion http://www.asrm.org/Guidelines/
ACOG committee opinions:
Medical management of ectopic pregnancy (Practice bulletin number 94) http://www.acog.org/Resources_And_Publications/Practice_Bulletins_List
- Stephenson, et al. Recurrent early pregnancy loss. Seminars in reproductive Medicine 2011, 29(6) 461-2.
- Saravelos SH, Regan LThe importance of preconception counseling and early pregnancy monitoring. Semin Reprod Med. 2011 Nov;29(6):557-68.
- Vissenberg R, Goddijn M. Is there a role for assisted reproductive technology in recurrent miscarriage?Semin Reprod Med. 2011 Nov;29(6):548-56.
- de Jong PG, Goddijn M, Middeldorp S. Testing for inherited thrombophilia in recurrent miscarriage. 2011 Nov;29(6):540-7.
- Ernest JM, Marshburn PB, Kutteh WH. Obstetric antiphospholipid syndrome: an update on pathophysiology and management. Semin Reprod Med. 2011 Nov;29(6):522-39.
- Sugiura-Ogasawara M, Ozaki Y, Katano K, Suzumori N, Mizutani E. Uterine anomaly and recurrent pregnancy loss. Semin Reprod Med. 2011 Nov;29(6):514-21.
- Boots C, Stephenson MD. Does obesity increase the risk of miscarriage in spontaneous conception: a systematic review.Semin Reprod Med. 2011 Nov;29(6):507-13.
- Patel BG, Lessey BA. Clinical assessment and management of the endometrium in recurrent early pregnancy loss. Semin Reprod Med. 2011 Nov;29(6):491-506.
- Smith ML, Schust DJ. Endocrinology and recurrent early pregnancy loss. Semin Reprod Med. 2011 Nov;29(6):482-90.
- Hirshfeld-Cytron J, Sugiura-Ogasawara M, Stephenson MD. Management of recurrent pregnancy loss associated with a parental carrier of a reciprocal translocation: a systematic review. Semin Reprod Med. 2011 Nov;29(6):470-81.
- Lathi RB, Gray Hazard FK, Heerema-McKenney A, Taylor J, Chueh JT First trimester miscarriage evaluation. Semin Reprod Med. 2011 Nov;29(6):463-9.
- Branch DW, Gibson M, Silver RM. Clinical practice. Recurrent miscarriage. N Engl J Med. 2010 Oct 28;363(18):1740-7.
- Hodes-Wertz et al. Idiopathic recurrent miscarriage is caused mostly by aneuploid embryos. Fertil Steril. 2012 Sep;98(3):675-80.
- M. Lund, Kamper-Jørgensen M, Nielsen HS, Lidegaard Ø, Andersen AM, Christiansee OB. Prognosis for live birth in women with recurrent miscarriage: what is the best measure of success? Obstet Gynecol 2012; 119: 37-43
Pregnancy of unknown location:
- Barnhart et al. Early pregnancy failure: beware of the pitfalls of modern management 98(5):1061-1065.
- Reid S, Condous G. Is there a need to definitively diagnose the location of a pregnancy of unknown location? The case for "no". Fertil Steril. 2012 Nov;98(5):1085-90. doi: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2012.09.032.
- Rubal L, Chung K. Do you need to definitively diagnose the location of a pregnancy of unknown location? The case for "yes". Fertil Steril. 2012 Nov;98(5):1078-84.
- Barnhart KT, Sammel MD, Takacs P, Chung K, Morse CB, O'Flynn O'Brien K, Allen-Taylor L, Shaunik A. Validation of a clinical risk scoring system, based solely on clinical presentation, for the management of pregnancy of unknown location. Fertil Steril. 2013 Jan;99(1):193-8.
Male factor and recurrent pregnancy loss:
- Robinson et al. Hum Reprod. 2012 Oct;27(10):2908-17. doi: 10.1093/humrep/des261. Epub 2012 Jul 12. The effect of sperm DNA fragmentation on miscarriage rates: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Handbook of Early Pregnancy Care. Eds Tom Bourne and George Condous. 2006 Informa Healthcare. London
- Recurrent Pregnancy Loss. Causes, Contoversies and Treatment. Ed Howard JA Carp. 2007 Informa Healthcare, London
- Early Pregnancy, Editors Farquharson RG and Stephenson MD. Cambridge University Press 2010, New York, USA
- Periconceptional medicine. Editors Macklon NS, Greer IA and Steegers EAP. Informa Healthcare, London 2008
- Cohen, J. Coming to Term, Uncovering the Truth about Miscarriage. 2005 Rutgers University Press
- ASRM fact sheet on Recurrent Pregnancy Loss http://www.reproductivefacts.org/Recurrent_Pregnancy_Loss/
Please inform Dr. Sacha Krieg if you have a RPL study you would like to post on this site.
Areas of interest:
- Recurrent pregnancy loss
- Ectopic pregnancy
- In vitro fertilization and early pregnancy
- Recurrent implantation failure
- Obesity and reproduction
- Pregnancy loss and endocrine disrupters
- Preconception counseling
- Miscarriage chromosome and pathology testing
- Recurrent pregnancy of unknown location