Patient Management and Clinical Recommendations During The Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic
Update #8: The current update by the ASRM Coronavirus/COVID-19 Task Force (the “Task Force”) continues to affirm the recommendations presented in Update No. 3 (American Society for Reproductive Medicine Patient Management and Clinical Recommendations during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic - Update No. 3, April 24, 2020), which were further elaborated upon in Update Nos. 4-7. Collectively, these updates recommend the judicious resumption of the delivery of reproductive care. Given the continued presence of COVID-19 cases in much of the United States (U.S.), these strategies continue to be critical in managing this ongoing pandemic. Read the full document here.
Since the last update, the Task Force has observed the following:
- As of September 1, 2020, the U.S. unfortunately continues to lead the world in COVID-19 deaths and cases. COVID-19 cases have exceeded six million in the U.S. with more than 185,000 deaths.
- In the U.S., the disease disproportionately affects Latino and African American individuals and it is now recognized that COVID-19 can significantly affect younger adults and children.
- While the U.S. has experienced an almost 40% decrease in the seven-day average for new cases since the beginning of August, there are still wide variances in the rates of new cases and deaths throughout the nation. For example, the number of new cases continues to decline in the Northeast but are on the upswing in parts of the Midwest and South.
- Widespread misinformation has led to sub-optimal implementation and acceptance of recognized strategies to prevent and minimize the transmission of the disease, which have led to some confusion among patients regarding current recommendations.
The next update from the Task Force will be in four weeks (on or about October 5, 2020), unless conditions warrant earlier release.
Read the Full Text Recommendations:
- Update #8 - published September 8, 2020
- Update #7 - published August 10, 2020
- Update #6 - published July 10, 2020
- Update #5 - published June 8, 2020
- Update #4 - published May 11, 2020
- Update #3 - published April 24, 2020
- Update #2 - published April 13, 2020
- Update #1 - published March 30, 2020
- Patient Management and Clinical Recommendations During The Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic - published March 17, 2020